If you love the idea of narrowboating, but don't feel confident enough to take the helm, or would just rather sit back and relax with no need to think, you can choose to hire your own skipper. One of our friendly and experienced staff can help you through the locks or be your local guide, showing you the very best places to visit.
An extra pair of hands
Your skipper can join you at the boat at an agreed time, remain on board for the day and leave once you are safely moored up for the evening. This extra pair of hands is trained to support you in any aspect of boating as all team members have considerable canal boat experience and hold the Royal Yachting Association Helmsman Certificate.
Our skippers can:
- join you for just a day or your full trip (they will not stay overnight)
- meet you upon arrival and help take your belongings on board
- show you around your boat and explain how it works
- ensure you reach your first night's mooring safely
- arrive in the morning with fresh milk, bread, newspapers and any groceries you require (extra charges apply for additional requests)
- help to steer the boat or be a second pair of eyes while you take charge
- guide you through the locks
- help you moor up overnight and at the best places for coffee, food and shopping
- be your informative guide on the fascinating history of the canal and its industrial past
- arrange trips to places of interest and local attractions
- give advice on the best eateries (from homely pubs to the Michelin-starred Walnut Tree), book a table for you and ensure you get there in time.
What's the cost?
The cost for this tailormade service is £100 for one day, 10am–4pm*. Please call us on +44 (0)1873 858277 to check availability for your holiday dates.
*Our skipper service is subject to availability please enquire directly before you place your booking if this is something of interest to you.
“What a wonderful experience. Beacon Park Boats are a very professional organisation. All boats were very well equipped, scrupulously clean and the handover guide and staff help were exceptional. The scenery was probably the finest in the country.”