Perhaps you love the idea of narrow boating but don’t feel confident enough to try? Or maybe, after enjoying many happy years holidaying on canals, you think your boating days are over?
Beacon Park Boats' newest service - Hire a Skipper - is here to help. We really want everyone to feel able to holiday on our narrowboats, so, after listening to feedback from our customers, we are now offering bespoke assistance to enhance your canal holiday. We'll provide as much or as little help as you like: one of our friendly, experienced staff will skipper your boat, or help you through the locks, or simply be your local guide showing you the best places to visit. Your skipper will join you at the boat at an agreed time, remain on board for the day, and leave once you are safely moored up for the evening.
This extra pair of hands is trained to support you during your holiday in any aspect of boating. This could include, but is not limited to:
• Joining you for a day or two, or the full trip (they will not stay overnight)
• Meeting you at the start of your holiday to help take your belongings on board, before showing you around your boat, explaining how the boat works (over a relaxed cup of tea) and ensuring you reach your first night’s mooring
• Arriving in the morning with fresh milk, bread, newspapers and any groceries you require
• Helping to steer the boat, or keeping a careful eye out while you steer
• Guiding you through the locks
• Helping you to moor up in the best places for coffee, lunch and overnight
• Being your informative guide on the fascinating history of the canal and its industrial past• Giving advice on the best eateries (from homely pubs to the Michelin-starred Walnut Tree), and booking a table for you whilst ensuring you get there in time
• If you fancy a day off the boat, arranging trips to places which interest you, such as mountains, castles, churches, Llanthony Priory, Llangorse lake, and Sugarloaf vineyard.
We have three members of our team who are available to be your skipper: two ladies and one gentleman. All have worked for us for many years, and come with the personal recommendation of Alasdair, owner of Beacon Park Boats. They have considerable canal boat experience, and hold the Royal Yachting Association Helmsman Certificate.
The cost for this tailormade service is £200 per day. Please call us on 01873 858277 to check availability for your holiday dates, then we can reserve a skipper for you. After that, you can look forward to a relaxing holiday on one of our handcrafted luxury narrowboats along the Mon & Brec - considered to be the UK’s most picturesque canal. Browse our narrowboats.